12 April 2015

Reader Under The Spotlight - Chamberlyn

Today I would like to introduce you to Chamberlyn

Hi y’all! I’m a United Methodist minister/stay-at-home-mom to two boys, 1 & 4. We live in a small town just outside a big city in North Carolina. I’m also an amateur homesteader, with a garden, two goats, and nine chickens, and my favorite things to do when I have free time are read and journal.

I’ve loved paper, school supplies, and planning all of my life. I probably had a better pen collection in elementary school than I do now! I remember asking my mom to take me to a specialty stationary store in 4th grade because there was a pen I just HAD to have, and she looked at me like I was nuts!

I’ve used an organizer since grade school and actually still have all of them in a tub in the attic. I took a break from paper planning when my first kid was born in 2010 and just got back into it last year because electronic planning just wasn’t letting me record everything I wanted to remember. I will never go back!

I have my own You Tube Channel, which features Filofax and other planner related topics.

I’m so happy to have found such an awesome community through Philofaxy!

Q1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

A1 My first Filofax was bought in June 2014, a personal ochre Malden.

Q2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

A2 This go-round, I have used kikki.K binders and recently have fallen in love with the Traveler’s Notebook. I’ve thought about investing in a Gillio, but I can’t justify the funds just yet.

Q3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

A3 This is a hard one! My favorite style and color is definitely the Ochre Maldens, but favorite size? Torn between the Personal and A5!

Q4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

A4 I own 8 Filofaxes and 3 kikki.K binders

Q5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

A5 I have no idea! My guess is maybe the Filofax Personal Tropic?

Q6. What do you use your organisers for?

A6 Here’s the list:

  • A5 Domino - Home management
  • A5 Malden - Journal
  • kikki.K Large - Holds my ECLP for my monthly/weekly planning
  • Personal Tropic - A-Z filing cabinet for my lists
  • Personal Urban - Book journal
  • Personal Malden - Storage
  • kikki.K Small - Homesteading tracker
  • kikki.K Small - Expense tracker & online purchases
  • Pocket Malden - Scrapbook for my oldest kid
  • Mini Malden - Scrapbook for my youngest kid
  • Mini Malden - Activity/travel planner

Q7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

A7 This is a hard question since I don’t use any of mine in very traditional senses at the moment. Back when I used a Personal as my main planner, though, I had 6 sections: Monthly, Weekly, To-Dos, Lists, Finance, and Notes.

Q8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

A8 I love the feel of the leather. I’d never owned a leather planner before, and there’s just something so professional, sophisticated, and “grown-up” about it that sets it apart from all the planners I used as a student through the years.

Q9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

A9 Leather and stuffability of the Malden, removable rings, front pocket layout of the Tropic with back pocket layout of the Malden and rear zip pocket of the Urban.

Q10. How do you carry your Filofax?

A10 I just toss my planner in my bag! I had trouble fitting my main planners in my diaper bags with all the other stuff, so I bought a Whipping Post Tote and a ChicSparrow Rustic Tote. The sacrifices we make for our planners!

Q11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

A11 My favorite is still the Malden. I’m currently at peace with my ringed binder collection, so no more purchasing for now!

Q12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

A12 The most expensive Filofax I own was my Personal Tropic. I paid $144 + tax new from a store.

Q13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

A13 Laminating a daily docket insert to use as a dashboard and write the day’s schedule in dry erase marker. That was my first (and probably only) bit of original Filofax ingenuity, and it worked really well for me!

Q14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

A14 The WebFinds! I love getting on YouTube and learning from other planner addicts!

Q15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

A15 It took me a while to figure out how to navigate it at first to find the information I wanted. But then again, I wasn’t entirely sure what information I wanted, so now that I’m a bit more in-the-know, I have no trouble at all!

Q16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

A16 Hozier’s "Take Me To Church”

Q17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

A17 Not yet, but I would love to if one comes nearby!

Q18. What was the last movie you watched?

A18 I don’t watch a lot of movies, but my guess is the last movie I was in the same room with as it played was Frozen as that gets a lot of play at our house during screen time!

Q19. What was the last book you read?

A19 I read constantly. I just finished Shakespeare Saved My Life: Ten Years in Solitary with the Bard by Laura Bates as a part of The Big Read at my local library this March. That was #37 of 2015!

Thank you Chamberlyn.

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

2 comments: