12 June 2015

Free For All Friday No. 343 by Anita

The other day, I put some very low bids on a couple of binders on eBay, but only felt relief when I didn't win either of them. I mentioned this on Facebook and Steve commented 'you only do it because you enjoy the thrill of the chase... May be horse racing might be an alternative?'

I can't see myself betting on the horses, but I've realised that the reason for bidding is that I enjoy receiving binders in the post. When I receive a Filofax, I make myself a cup of tea and retire to our bedroom to open the binder. I spread the contents of the package out on the bed and take my time looking at everything, and if it's delivered at work I always wait to open it at home like this. I'm very content with what I already have (my Winchester and Hamilton) and actually don't need or want any more.

Do you have a similar ritual for opening up your binder packages, and I wonder if any of you feel the same way about wanting them vs. not wanting them like this?

But as today is a Friday, you can of course discuss anything Filofax or ring bound organiser related. Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I've done this so many times - either been really relieved not to have won something or spent half the time hoping someone will out-bid me. I don't think I would bet on the horses either but there is something about eBay that triggers the desire to bid, often followed by the wish you hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same. If I win, I will find a purpose for that planner. Or I will gift for someone. All my 3 daughters have a pocket Filofax, I bought all under 10 EUR with postage... I have now two in personal size, what I don't use. I think, one of them will be a knitting binder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a great podcast on GTD Virtual Study Group. It is episode #143: System Overhaul, dated May 13, 2015. The advice is general enough for all planning systems not just GTD. This pertains to anyone that is in "planner fail" or your life/job has changed and you feel your planner needs revamped.
    As to unpacking a new binder - rip and tear with sheer delight, knives or closest sharp object if plan A doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, off topic but does anyone know where the 2015 Date source files are? I want to create my own sheets but can't find them - thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://app.box.com/s/zv1dgg1x9fsk6o2s63gi

      Delete
  5. For me, it's not the bidding/winning/losing but the waiting for the package to arrive. Once it is here, I open the package carefully (the anticipation), and and spread out and change around 5 or 6 different ways. Since I've just fallen for the Originals, it is double delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it's not the bidding/winning/losing but the waiting for the package to arrive. Once it is here, I open the package carefully (the anticipation), and and spread out and change around 5 or 6 different ways. Since I've just fallen for the Originals, it is double delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year my pocket binder was sent in a package envelope instead of a box. Nonetheless it was fine. I am very settled in my binder and I like my month on one page diary and week on two pages insert. This year I abandoned the month calendar on two pages with boxes because the space is too small. On my month page I write information and notations that do not pertain to my schedule. My week pages follow the month diary and there is a lined page at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete