25 June 2014

Small but Fierce: The 6th New York City Meet Up

Thank you to Susan for her account and photos of last Saturday's New York City Meet Up. 

On Saturday, June 21, we had our 6th New York City Meet Up (you can read about past meet-ups here).  Though this was the smallest group we’ve had yet, it was delightful getting together and seeing familiar faces.  Raquel, Josh, Juan, and myself were all repeat attenders.

Raquel and I met at Sam Flax on Third Avenue.  We stepped inside the store for some Filofax shopping.  The selection was pretty decent, considering the recent lack of stock on the website and at other stores throughout the country.



I was afraid that there wouldn’t be too much to peruse.  Although there wasn’t much in the way of new items, we did get to see some of the new Original binders, which I liked (which is good considering I may have just ordered a personal nude Original, thanks to a birthday gift certificate).

I did buy a few items:


Here we have 2 sets of personal blank tabs, one personal size business card holder, a typewriter sticky note pad (I usually stay away from anything that is not Post-it anymore, but I couldn’t help myself—this is Graphique brand), and a “Bedside Jots” pad (these pages are not sticky) by Knock Knock.


Because of the time slots, I will probably use these as additional space for anything that I can’t fit onto my Filofax daily pages, especially on the weekend days since Saturday and Sunday share a page.  And since they’re not sticky, I can punch down the left side and just slip them right into my binder.

After Sam Flax, Raquel and I headed over to Le Pain Quotidien on Second Avenue, where we met up with Josh and Juan.  It wasn’t long until the star of show appeared—Josh’s Van Der Spek binder.


That binder is a thing of beauty!

We talked about all things planners—Filofax, Van Der Spek, Gillio, planning in general, the use and non-use of washi tape, what information we keep in our planners—as well as non-planner talk, such as libraries and seersucker outfits.

Among whatever talk that came up, I did manage to get a few photos of our very small collection:




And, as small as it was, we did get a snapshot of the famous stack:




Even with it being the smallest group we had thus far, we had a lovely lunch and even lovelier conversation.  Thanks to Raquel, Josh, and Juan for attending the meet up, and thanks to Steve for posting the original announcement and this write-up.

20 comments:

  1. Very nice stack! Love the binder of Josh. Very nice rich red colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's the one in the middle? purple? what model it is?

    Good you had a nice meet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Filofax Osterley, I believe.

      Delete
    2. The middle binder is a compact plum Osterley. It's one of my favorites!

      Delete
    3. thanks a lot! I am on the hunt then! I hope A5 exists, I'll do my research now :-) thanks for your help!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go to the next meet up in NY! (Or anywhere southeast -I'm in FL)

      Delete
    2. Typically, we have a NYC meet up once a year, usually in June. There isn't enough interest (from what I can tell) to do it more often than that. And June seems to work for those of us who do attend. However, if there is interest for more of them or for different times of the year, please let me know. I'm always looking for feedback.

      I want to say that there was a Southeast meet up at one point? But I could be wrong...

      Delete
    3. There was one in Atlanta a year or so ago.

      Delete
  4. Longing for a VDS !! Need a new Josh my set up video to watch.... having seen this binder, it looks marvellous and I'd love to see Josh's set up and tweaks. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! I really like the bedside jotpad. It seems to be a good idea to use them in addition to the general pages. I will look deeper into that!

    Best regards, Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knock Knock has some great items. Lots of humorous note pads. If you're unable to get them where you are, let me know - I might be able to send some. I've never ordered from their website so I don't know where they ship to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this offer! For me, I have had a closer look at their website, no bedside jots available... I will look a little further or make some of my own.

      Thank you, Thomas

      Delete
  7. All the binders look nice. Can you tell me the ring size in the compact Osterley and the Calipso? Also do you use two rulers to locate different calendars in the Osterley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically, the compact binders have 15mm rings (1/2 inch). I could use a wee bit bigger rings, but these are fine for what I need. I do use two rulers -- one to mark my monthly pages and one to mark my daily pages.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply WellPlannedLife. It looked like a couple of compact binders had larger rings than 15 mm from photos on the internet but your answer tells me that is not the case.

      Delete
    3. It's possible that some binders do have slightly larger rings -- it depends on the brand and the model. I know that that's true of personal binders -- most are 23 mm (I think) but some might be a bit smaller or larger. It also depends on which country site you're looking at (in terms of Filofax). The US site tends to be a little off on their measurements since they convert it to inches.

      Delete
  8. Sure love the different colors of binders and so many sizes. Think I narrowed my choice down to the larger size. Is that an A-5? I have not purchased one yet as I have been trying to see what is out there and what I need. Since I will need to order on line I do want to know what I will need. I am thinking the large size will be my best but what size is the red one above? Please and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red one above is actually a Van der Spek binder. I'm not very familiar with their sizes but I believe this one is comparable to Filofax's A5 size.

      Delete
    2. The red one is indeed an A5. It has 35mm rings so it looks nice and chunky but is light to carry. I have one in brown.

      Delete