26 June 2014

Back in an Ascot and finding A5 peace

I've been on the verge of giving up on the A5 size for some time now.

I'm sure it's not just me, but I seemed to have a choice of lovely binders which just weren't right and I was getting fed up with it all. All I wanted to do was just settle down with something that ticks all the boxes, and get on with using and enjoying it.

As per my previous post, the final part of my A5 journey initially involved these three beautiful filos:
  • the glamorous red Amazona - it took me a while to work out why this wasn't quite right, but I just find the leather too hard and bumpy when compared with an Ascot. Sounds like a silly reason when written down like that, but it obviously bugged me enough to be a problem 
  • the vintage red Mulberry planner - such a gorgeous binder, but it lacks a notepad pocket, has smaller rings and I find it's a bit too floppy for writing on my lap. I realised that I do most of my writing in an A5 either sat on the sofa or on our bed, so a more structured model would be better for me 
  • the ochre A5 Malden (returned as faulty) - after some more thought, I found that not wanting a replacement puzzled me. In theory, how can you go wrong with an ochre A5 Malden?? (unless you're not a fan of the Malden anyway) I was dissatisfied with my post, no more A5 Maldens for me, and it didn't really come up with any answers for me. Like the Mulberry, I find the larger Malden model a bit too floppy for writing on my lap, but surely I could overlook this con for all the other pros... However, as my little collection only consists of two binders, I think I realised that it would be nice to have something different, rather than two Maldens.
Uh oh, now what?

Reading back through some of my older A5 Philofaxy posts, I realised that the bronze A5 Domino snake would tick all the boxes, so I offered the Amazona up for a trade, but ended up just selling it instead to a lovely lady in the US. I never browse in the Facebook selling groups as I don't want to be tempted into increasing my collection, but as I scrolled down to find and edit my post, my eyes were drawn by the words 'red... A5... Ascot'! I still have a very big soft spot for the Ascot model, so it occurred to me that this could be just what I was looking for. As soon as I heard that it was still available, I was saying, "Yes, please" and the lovely Rebecca helped it be an easy and pleasant purchase.

It's a lovely burgundy red, which I'm finding hard to photograph but I think this is probably the closest to its colour in the flesh.


By changing the angle, I can better show the slight glossiness of the leather.



I love the contrast between the patterned exterior and the brighter plainer interior.


On the left hand side, there is a non-elasticated pen loop, five card slots, a small slip pocket below with 'Filofax A5/FSO Ascot made in USA' on it, a full length secretarial pocket and a full length zipped (non-gusseted) pocket behind. Looking around online, it seems that the small slip pocket was designed to hold a floppy disk.

On the right hand side, there's a notepad pocket and another non-elasticated pen loop. It lies flat and is quite supple, but I think it must have some stiffener inside which makes it good to lean on whilst writing.

The condition was accurately described as 'well loved', and I just think that it adds more character to an already beautiful binder. I love how you can make out these impressions on the right hand side from where a previous owner has leant on it whilst writing. On further inspection, I think that I can make out the date 3rd September and possibly the name Gina Walis.


I don't know much about the Ascot model and when I asked Filofax UK, they said that they didn't have much information available and the person thought that they'd been manufactured in China. However, I did find some more details here.

The Ascot and the Malden are my two favourite models, so I feel very fortunate to have found them in the perfect size and colour combination for me.



10 comments:

  1. The inside layout of the Ascot is identical to the inside of my A5 Director, which I adore, but sadly sits on a shelf (of the larger binders, I'm more of an FC Classic girl). It's in the Goldilocks zone between too hard and too floppy, and I know this because I'm a couch and bed writer as well :)

    I have texture envy, though. The Ascot is beautiful. The Director is very plain on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the A5 Director is a beautiful binder & I'm finding this interior layout is just perfect for me. I'm very content as my Malden is plainer & then I have the Ascot for the patterned finish.

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to find the authorised version of the bible to fit into an A% sized binder or a Personal 'sized' binder... Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm loving it so much, Rebecca! It's in very good hands, & will be used & loved for many years to come :)

      Delete
  4. I have replaced this as my favourite post since I found Philofaxy about 4 months ago. Steve's "2 Filofax Morton" post has been relegated and usurped. An excellent insight into your reasoning, choices and tastes. May the happy couple, and you, remain happy and continue to work well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Mac! I tried to take some time to explain how I've ended up with these two binders & how it's working so well for me. I have no plans to buy any other Filofaxes & am feeling very content.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful - I really like the internal layout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found the same A5 Ascot at Value Village for $5.99, in’s the same colour, and I’ve been trying to find out more about it. I’m glad I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My A5 Ascot is stamped that it is made in the USA. The link does not take you to more details on it.

    ReplyDelete