23 October 2013

Filofax Flex - Slim in Leather - Review

It is some two and half years since Filofax launched their Filofax Flex range. I did the first review on a trip to UK. Back then I had only been sent the A5 and Pocket models to review. I was recently sent a Leather Slim model as a gift. But I thought it was worthy of reviewing as well.

The Flex range has been expanded since it's initial launch with a greater range of models they now include leather models like the one reviewed here. The basic design is the same. You can swap the inserts around as in the first versions, with inside and outside pockets.


So the leather has a slight 'pebbled' finish but it is very soft and supple. There are no stiffening in the covers, these get their form from the inserts or the pen loops which are mounted on a thin plastic card.


On the inside front cover has three card slots plus a larger gusseted lower pocket.


The Flex comes with a slim lined note book and a jot pad and a single pen loop.



The gusseted pocket will easily take a smart phone such as my iPhone shown in the picture.


I've added a Filofax iPad Stylus Duo pen which neatly fits in the pen loop and I can use it to jot notes down if I get a call, and the soft tip works perfectly as a stylus on the touch screen, especially someone like my self who doesn't have particularly elegant thin fingers!


By adding a second pen loop, one in the front the other in the back, you can put your pen through both loops and this holds the Flex closed, a simple solution if you want a form of closure.


Naturally the phone increases the bulk of the folder, but it is still slim enough to slip in your jacket pocket


The Flex Leather Slim model is currently in the sale at £24 a very good price I think. They do a similar model to the Slim in A5 size too. They would make great partners. Or use the Slim with your normal Filofax even.

Again thank you to Filofax for sending me this Filofax Leather Slim Flex for review.

17 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the feel of the leather with this Filofax Flex, it is so beautifully soft. I always need a notebook and this is the perfect size for my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the leather cover for the DayTimer wirebound monthly inserts I used to use back in the 1990s. I just checked their website, and they are still available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Is the size closer to the personal or the pocket? I can't tell from the pictures, though it looks more like a personal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve--Can you tell us the measurements of this Flex? Also, do you know if it will/is going to be available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Slim is an odd size at 165mm x110mm for inserts 150mm x 85mm. So lightly smaller than Personal Filofax. You can't take Personal pages (say for a meeting or a packing list) and slot them into one of the Flex Slim pockets, for example.

      Even more bizarre is that Filofax seem to have stopped selling the covers in the USA but are still selling the inserts! It's not as if the Flex has been such a major success. Last winter there were box loads of all sizes to be found at Tk Maxx discount stores across the UK.

      Delete
    2. I think Filofax missed the boat on the Flex line. First the sizes should have mirrored the Binders: A5 (which was done), Personal and Pocket. Second, the Flex pages could (should?) have been perforated, like some Moleskine pages, so they could be punched and inserted into the binders.

      Delete
  5. Excellent summary of what the Flex can do....looks good...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know what other notebooks would fit in the slim flex? Thinking moleskine notebooks and diaries particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moleskine large (210x130mm) fits in Flex A5 and pocket Moleskine (14x9cm) can fit in Flex Slim

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tim. I'll not be buying the Nappa now it's back at full price, though I may think about a cheaper one.

      Delete
  7. Huh! Back up to full price! Well, that lost them a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Website price corrected. 40% off again. The cheaper leather-look "Smooth" ones now also reduced.

      I agree with Alan's comment on sizing, but not punching. Filofax copied the Flex concept from Time Manager. Their jot pads were (indeed are) punched with the idea of inserting in standard binders. To me the sheets looked a bit like Gorgonzola cheese as a result!

      Delete
    2. Perforation maybe, but punching unnecessary, messy and you can buy a punch.
      Right, I'll give myself to the end of the day to decide how generous Santa wants to be now the price is back down. :-D

      Delete
    3. I only suggested perforated, so they could be removed and punched as necessary to add to a ringed binder.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking cover - I wonder if any iPhone 5 would fit nicely in the left pocket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I believe it will the 5 is less than 10mm bigger than my iphone4 and slimmer too and the flex is 150mm tall so the iPhone 5 should also fit that pocket

      Delete
  9. Yes, but it's tight if your phone has it's own cover. I never use the pocket for that purpose as it takes away the slimness of the wallet. I much prefer the layout of the First Edition Flex with extra card pockets.

    ReplyDelete