15 October 2010

Skype Introduce Group Video Calling

Not strictly Filofax... but Philofaxy related for sure...

When we do our round-table chats, so far we have been limited to audio only or keyboard to keyboard instant messaging.

As from yesterday Skype introduced their new Windows version 5.0, it includes a free 28 day group video trial. I've just tried this out around the house... two people, three PC's on different Skype accounts and it worked... I will let you visualise me dashing around between two different machines in different rooms trying this out!!!

I'm not sure what will happen once my 28 day trial is finished, I suspect they might want some money for me to be able to continue to use that facility, but what ever. I did the trial on my own account not the Philofaxy one, so I guess I can delay starting the 28 day trial on that account until we need to... cunning me or what!!!

Anyway, if we want to try this out on our next round-table you will need to do the following:

1. Update your Windows version of Skype to the latest version. Sadly they haven't updated the Mac version yet.
2. You will obviously need a webcam if you don't have one built in to your PC or Netbook.

If you don't have a camera we will still get your audio, but you will still see everyone else.

I'm sure 'seeing' each other will help in terms of the conversation, and not having to remember the sounds of different voices etc.

Please give an indication in the comments about giving the group video a test on our next round-table.

Thanks


4 comments:

  1. I think it would be fun to try. I have not been able to make the past two for one reason or another, but I do look forward to being able to participate in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is the next one - Nov. 7? I think it would be fun. Of course now there's a lot of pressure to look good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, so now I even have to comb my hair and put on make-up for a night on the pc???!!!! That said, I discovered that - in theory - my little Asus eee netbook should be able to provide me with both the audio hardware and a camera (only 1.3 mpx, so probably totally rubbish - but hey, I look good in candle light, so this might work aswell ... LOL).
    Just wondered, could the round table also be on a saturday night instead of sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will find that your netbook camera is quite good!

    Saturday night... fine with me, how about others?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete